Tuesday 3 April 2012

Pork Chops....

Bad, BAD Fifi !! All that talk about food and no pictures or recipes!
Okay, in my defense, the Prawn Peera got over before I could take a picture! And since I have this strange allergy that makes my hands itch like CRAZY if I clean prawns - no, no, I SWEAR they do! Mimi cleans prawns for me usually - if I do them myself, I have to do it with surgical gloves!! So yeah, basically, the prawn thing finished before I took pictures! In response to Kavita's comment (the ONLY one we've got in a loooong time!), here's the recipe for pork chops..... of the 2 pictures, the better picture was taken on another occasion when we made this, and the other (not-so-great) picture was taken when we made this last week. Now, there's one thing I've changed (for the better!) in this recipe - I've used a pressure cooker - and the meat was yummmm! Super tender and practically falling off the bone!



Fifi's Pork Chops
Ingredients - Marinade:
Pork Chops
Garlic paste
Soy sauce
Salt
Pepper
Chilli Flakes
Vinegar (about 1 tbsp)

Ingredients - Sauce:
Onions
Finely chopped garlic
Honey
Tomato - chilli sauce (I use Maggi Hot and Sweet)
Soy sauce
Star Anise
Salt, pepper, chilli flakes.

Method:
- Marinade the pork chops in a mixture of the marinade ingredients for a few hours.
- Pan fry the chops to seal in the flavour - not too much, till just cooked on the surface. (at this point, do NOT throw away the rest of the marinade mixture)
- In the same pan, after scraping away the burnt bits, if any, brown the onions and garlic. (you may want to drain some of the melted fat if there is too much)
- Add in the remaining marinade mixture and cook for about 8 minutes.
- Add in about 1/2 - 1 cup of the tomato-chilli sauce and about 1/2 cup of honey and 2 tbsp of soy sauce and mix. Let it cook for a bit. Throw in a few star anise flowers and a little water (or beer!) if you want a more runny sauce.
- Place the chops in a pressure cooker and pour the sauce over them to cover. If you need to add a little water to do that, you can, but you'll need to let the water evaporate later.
- Pressure cook for about 15 minutes. I left it to 20 and the meat was falling off the bone!
- Dry out excess water - the chops may have quite a bit of fat floating on top - which gets released when you cook the pork. You can skim off most of the fat... or make a paper cone out of kitchen tissue and let the tissue do its job!
- Serve with mashed potato and steamed buttered vegetables (which is what I did the first time! .... but this time it was "not-fried-crunchy-peas" and mashed potato!)


Bon Appetit from Fifi !

No comments: